A dental abscess is a pus accumulation inside the teeth, in the gums, or in the bone that holds the teeth in place, caused by a bacterial infection.
Dental abscesses are frequently painful but not in all cases. Painful or not, they should be looked at by a dentist.
A dental abscess requires urgent dental care because, if not treated promptly, the infection can spread from the root of the tooth and to the entire body.
Abscesses don’t go away on their own, and they can sometimes spread to other parts of the body and make you ill.
Signs and Symptoms of Dental Abscess
Here are the signs and symptoms of a tooth abscess:
- Severe, persistent, pounding toothache that can spread to the jawbone, neck or ear
- Sensitivity to hot and cold foods and beverages
- Sensitivity to bite pressure
- Swelling in the face or cheek
- Tender, swollen lymph nodes under the jaw or in the neck
- Bad breath
- Difficulty breathing or swallowing
Causes of Dental Abscess
A periapical tooth abscess occurs when bacteria occupy the dental pulp.
Bacteria enter through either a dental cavity or a chip or crack in the tooth and spread down to the root. The bacterial infection can result in swelling and inflammation at the tip of the root.
The following are the common cause of dental abscess:
- Severe tooth decay
- Gum disease
- Poor dental work
- Dead/dying tooth nerve/pulp
- Food stuck in between teeth
Avoiding tooth decay is important in preventing tooth abscess.
Take care of your teeth to prevent tooth decay:
- Drink fluoridated drinking water.
- Brush your teeth at least two times a day.
- Use dental floss or an interdental cleaner daily.
- Replace your toothbrush quarterly, or whenever the bristles are worn.
- Eat healthy food and limit sugary and sticky treats and between-meal snacks.
- Use a fluoride mouth rinse to add an extra layer of protection against tooth decay.
- See your dentist regularly for check-ups and professional cleanings.
Dental Emergencies at Deer Park Dental Surgery
Deer Park Dental Surgery is your trusted dentist for your dental care needs, including dental emergencies.
We provide quick and efficient care so you can be free from pain as soon as possible.
At Deer Park Dental Surgery, we take care of your oral health and your smile.
Our Promotions for New Patients
GAP FREE – Comprehensive Check Up, Clean & X-rays (if needed)
(with any health insurance)
No Insurance: $150 Comprehensive Check Up, Clean & X-rays (if needed)
SAME DAY EMERGENCY APPOINTMENT AVAILABLE!
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- All insurances are accepted with HICAPS. We a preferred provider for HCF and NIB
We are located in a busy medical centre in Brimbank Shopping Centre with plenty of cafes and shops nearby.
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance)