Bad Breath Treatment
Bad breath may harm your social life, intimate relationships, and self-esteem.
At Deer Park Dental Surgery, we can help you determine if you have bad breath and if you do, its causes and ways to prevent or treat it.
Causes of Bad Breath
There are many causes of bad breath. Here are some of the most common.
Poor oral hygiene practices
If you don’t brush and floss your teeth daily and properly, food remains stuck in your mouth, forming bacteria that cause plaque. Your tongue can also store odour-causing bacteria.
Uncleaned dentures or those that don’t fit snugly can also trap odour-causing bacteria and food particles.
The simplest cause of bad breath is garlic or onion breath, or the odour of a smoker. Also, fasting or crash dieting can cause bad breath as the body breaks down fat and releases ketones, which can be smelled.
Dry mouth happens if you don’t drink enough water, if you have been sleeping or travelling for hours, or any other cases in which your body slows down saliva production. Tough workouts can also cause dry mouth, breathing through your mouth, and some diseases and medications.
Smoking causes unpleasant mouth odour. It harms your teeth and mouth causing various conditions like tooth decay, bad breath, and gum problems, to name a few.
Bad breath might be a sign of other diseases. Mucous, respiratory and tonsil infections, sinus issues, liver and kidney ailments, diabetes, and some blood disorders cause bad breath. In some cases, bad breath can be a sign of cancer or other severe conditions.
Symptoms of Bad Breath
A person with bad breath has:
- A white layer on the tongue especially at the back of the tongue
- Dry mouth
- Plaque build-up around teeth
- Post-nasal drip
- Morning bad breath and burning tongue
- Thick saliva and a constant urge to clear your throat
- Constant sour, bitter, metallic taste
Having halitosis can have a significant impact on a person. Because of bad breath, other people may shy away or turn their heads. This can cause low confidence and self-esteem.
Prevention of Bad Breath
Begin prevention at home. Here are a few steps to prevent bad breath:
- Eliminate the main causes of bad breath by keeping your mouth clean and fresh. You need to brush your teeth and gums before bed and at least one other time during the day. It’s also important to brush your tongue.
- Floss at least once a day.
- Chew a sugar-free gum – it helps your mouth produce saliva and stops the “dry mouth” that can lead to bad breath.
GAP FREE – Comprehensive Check Up, Clean & X-rays (if needed)
(with any health insurance)
*for new patients only
Bad Breath Treatment at Deer Park Dental Surgery
If you have dental issues that cause mouth odour, your Deer Park dentist can begin to treat the cause of the problem with a cleaning. We make sure you leave wearing a beautiful smile on your face.
If you have early signs of halitosis, call (03) 9360 4417 or come and visit us at T097A Brimbank Shopping Centre Neale Road in Deer Park.
- Same day emergency appointments are available upon request
- All insurances are accepted with HICAPS. We a preferred provider for HCF and NIB
We are located in a busy medical centre in Brimbank Shopping Centre with plenty of cafes and shops nearby.
Easily accessible via public transportation (bus stop within walking distance)